Thursday, November 03, 2005

Finished? Bwahahahahahaha.....

Well here is the final result of the costume.

Things didn't turn out exactly as I had planned that's why I am starting with the back of the costume on this post.

I was not able to use the original mask/tongue idea for the costume. We got pressed for time when setting up the party decorations and I did not have the time to get it on.

In order to get it all set up I was going to have to apply a bald cap to cover up my hair in the back and glue it down. Then apply the mask itself and glue it down. I would then have to apply some latex to the edges of the mask to blend it into my skin and the bald cap. Next I'd have to glue the tongue to my neck and then apply makeup to everything. I didn't have the time for all of that so I ended up using my 'backup mask'.

Here are a couple of pics of the back of the costume and the exposed spine. It looks good but I think it would have been better if I made the ripped up edges shorter and maybe singed some of them with a lighter.




Here is how it looked from the front. Something you can't see is that on my right side I have a small skull that I added battery powered lights to the eyes and have hanging from a rawhide strip off of my belt.


I spent some time outside at the front door acting as a doorman. I would stand perfectly still and people thought I was a prop. As they reached for the door handle I would scare them by saying "Welcome" in a deep voice and open the door for them. I later overheard one man tell his wife that if I had reached out and touched him instead of the door he would have ran off leaving her with me and whatever fate I had in store for her.


Me standing inside having a conversation with one of the other party guests, her husband is in the background. (all names withheld to protect the innocent).


Notes/Issues:
Its obvious that the mask is too large. It looks neat and since it is larger than normal adds to the strageness but is not perfect for what I wanted.
However I think I may have been lucky by being forced to use this mask. I found that the mask was very hot and when I'd step outside to cool off, my breath would condense on the inside of the mask and run down into my shirt because the mask was long and tucked under the robe. This was because there was no air hole in the mask around the mouth. This also meant that I was not breathing in fresh air and kept rebreathing in a mix of stale air along with whatever new air did circulate in. This left me feeling a little out of breath when I had the mask on. So I had to take the mask off every so often to air out (and get a drink).

If I had used my original mask that was going to be glued on I would have been left with a puddle of moisture on the bottom of my mask that would have been nasty. So that will be one more issue I'll have to solve for next year.

I like the gloves that I found since they have the bones sticking out and I didn't have to do any special work for them.

The robe sleeves are too long. I'll have to shorten them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home